Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Detour - part 2

Well folks it got worse. Assuming you've seen the previous post ("A detour") you will have learned that the Jubilee was screwed up yesterday morning. And on my homeward journey it was still screwed up (though they had a different reason for it now). I was unable to take my usual Bakerloo train north from Waterloo because the platform was so overcrowded that they were spilling back to the foot of the escalators. So I retraced my journey of the morning and used the Northern to get to Euston Square, where I hoped to find a friendly Uxbridge bound Met.

Alas, I had forgot me the date (as Julius Caesar might have said in another context). For it was the night of a friendly football match at Wembley. And the crowds that might have used the Jubilee to get to Wembley were obliged to use the Met, and though an Uxbridge did indeed arrive quickly, it was too full to be boarded, as was the following Amersham but by then I had gritted my teeth, girded my loins (mentally, you understand, I don't go in for much loin-girding in public these days) and I forced my way on and had a really uncomfortable journey most of the way home. But at least we caught up with the Uxbridge at Harrow so I didn't have to waste a further 10 minutes waiting for the next one.

And as I surmised yesterday, they charged me for making the short break between Euston Square and Warren Street and the bill for the day's delayed and stressed journey came to £10.

To cap it all, this morning the normally reliable Bakerloo was suspended.

Hum. I still maintain holding the Olympics in London is going to be a mistake. What on earth will they do when the Jubilee has some signal failures/ power failures / defective trains (insert your favourite excuse here) in that torrid summer of 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment