Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Windows 10 - Has nothing been learned after 20+ years?

I have a modest home network - my computer, my wife's computer and a couple of printers. It's been going for some time under Windows 10. Today, wishing to print to one of those printers, I received the following pop-up message:


Do I trust this printer?

Hmm, I've never really liked the cut of its jib. It never really fitted in with the other devices, always seemed a bit of a loner. Had its own agenda, if you know what I mean. Did a reasonable job of printing but would I want to rely on it in a crisis, say if I was being menaced by two big men in a dark alley? I know nothing of its family background. It might be the unstable one, the one that nobody in HP ever talks about. Maybe its references were forged and it is living a double life, secretly faxing away in the small hours to destinations unknown.

No, I don't think I can actually say I trust the printer. But what the  **** has that got to do with anything at all? I am sending print information for it to print. All I ask is that it should print the pages then stop.

And if you think this is all about installing a driver and ensuring that it comes from a trusted source and therefore that Microsoft are justified in asking the question, read the first paragraph of this column again. I've been connected to this printer for many months. Any damage that it may have done has been done long away and the results no doubt filed away in a dusty cabinet somewhere in the bowels of GCHQ (under "T" for "Total waste of time").

It staggers me that after more than 20 years of using Windows to connect to printers, such a message should appear at all. How the hell am I supposed to check the drivers and security settings built into a printer? I have physically connected it to my network. That is all that the system needs to know.

I am so glad I don't do front-line IT support anymore. This is the sort of event that makes one swear in front of innocent young ladies, punch holes into walls (the flimsy kind you get between cubicles) and bang down tea cups onto desks crowded with papers without first emptying contents of same. Not good for one's image as the cool guy who fixes things.

[Anyone with fond memories of AnthonyG as "the cool guy who fixed things" is cordially invited to share them with us. Thanks: Ed]

No comments:

Post a Comment