Tuesday, February 13, 2018

How Stupid Is Steam?

Steam, for those who do not know, is the trading name of a business that sells computer games over the internet and provides many related services. I have been a customer for several years. As with other online enterprises, they hold information about me that helps prevent unauthorised access to my account. I have no issue with this.

What does make me raise my eyebrows in exasperation is what happened when, as occurred today, I logged on and they displayed a message asking if my email address was still as it was. Fine, I get the idea that if it has changed I need to let them know so they can contact me should this be necessary. But the email address has not changed (indeed it has been the same for about fifteen years). When I clicked on the little button to affirm this, I was then invited to verify that this was my address. Which means they would send an email to which I would reply. I did do this the first time the account was set up.

Now, on this occasion, the email address has not changed. I have told them it has not changed and that what they are displaying is correct. What then is the reason for them effectively telling me that they don't believe me? Why is my simple click on a "Yes, this email is still the same as it was" not good enough? Do they employ systems designers who sit in their little cubicles munching doughnuts and saying to one another  "Yeah, Chuck, I know they can just click Yes and they have logged on correctly and all, but you know maybe they did change their email and they forgot and all so we'd better check anyway. Whaddya say Chuck? Let's do it, huh?" and Chuck would swill down the last of his coffee and grunt approvingly.

If you're reading this, fellers (and you know who you are), do feel free to explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment