Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Poetry Corner

A type of short poem called a "Cherita" has recently come to my attention. Created in 1997 by Ai Li (who is also, I learn from her website, an evidential spiritualist medium) it take the form of a one line, two line and three line stanza. This makes for very short pieces indeed and you might think that if you buy one of her books you will get at least one of these fragments per page. Not so. Every other page is blank so that "the reader can pause and for the words to echo in the after silence"

Here is an example of a Cherita (I hope it is ok to reproduce but as it was on a flyer widely distributed in a public space I don't see why not). Starting each line in lower case seems to be the norm with this style, by the way.

your reading glasses

are still
where you left them

on an old page
the silverfish
miss you

I am not able to insert a blank page here because, well,  because this is a column on a Google blog not a printed book, so you'll just have to pause and imagine one while the words echo in the after silence. I find myself thinking about how I would go about squishing the silverfish and then trying to get the stains off the old page, and probably sitting on your reading glasses but that just serves you right for leaving them on the sofa in the first place.

I think the echoes will have died down by now and you should have the idea of Cheritas, and assuming the spirits are happy (Is there anybody there? No, I didn't really think so) here are a few of my own to get you pausing. Don't forget to add an after silence, length optional, as you read each one.

  -*-*-*-*-*-*-

the computer monitor

is black
and not responding

oh why do these
windows updates
take so bloody long?

 -*-*-*-*-*-*-

i hear a knock

is it the
postman?

no, it is
just another
pizza delivery leaflet

  -*-*-*-*-*-*-

the platform is crowded

my train is not
listed

many eyes strain
upward but the indicator board
gives no answer

  -*-*-*-*-*-*-

masterchef is on the telly tonight

it would be nice to
have some peanuts

but there are none
in
the house

  -*-*-*-*-*-*-

I think that's enough to be getting on with. If you would like to see your own efforts published in these columns please send them in to the usual address. Terms and conditions ... oh sod it, let's do this properly

   -*-*-*-*-*-*-
terms and conditions apply

the editor's
decision is final

no correspondence
can be entered into
so don't waste our time with it, ok?
  -*-*-*-*-*-*-

No comments:

Post a Comment