Thursday, September 15, 2022

The Santiago Connection

 I think this must be the most far-flung piece of spam I have ever received. All the way from sunny Chile (or possibly, very wet and cold Chile, depending on where they are based), I have been sent this pleasant message offering a plethora of motoring services



I did use to own a Hyundai car. I sold it four years ago. I do not, and have never, lived in Chile. In fact, I have never visited any part of South America. So, being told by the biggest service company in that country (if my rusty Spanish is any good), that they are eagerly seeking my business in looking after a vehicle I do not own, does seem rather bizarre.

I'm not sure if data protection rules have been broken.They have written to an email address that I never used when corresponding with the dealer from whom I bought the car. So it is probably not a case of them getting the details from some sort of worldwide database of ex-owners.  I did however, once, mention the word Hyundai on this very blog. Maybe a rather stupid bot tried to put two and two together. Or maybe they bought an email list from a rather dodgy vendor.

Anyway, it's good to know that there are some trusty amigos some 7,200 miles away and I shall file their details just in case, oh, I don't know, Hyundai make me their ambassador to Chile (I'm still waiting for Johnny Walker to get back to me), fly me over there, hand over a brand new 4x4 and say "Ahí tienes, amigo, ve a donde quieras, todo está en nosotros", and then as I burn my way down the B451 in search of a tea-room, there is a nasty rattle from the engine, and I pull over and think "What now? Oh, I know!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment