Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Fishier still

A year ago I had the pleasure of introducing a batch of incomers to the resident fish population of the little pond in the back garden. Sadly the hot summer proved too much for some of them and three of the newcomers, together with one old-timer, perished. But nature is bountiful. This week I identified three babies, two so black they are only visible in direct light and one with the same light pink markings that mark two of the adults.Very satisfying, and there may more lurking about. The neighbours may think I'm merely idling away the time by staring blankly into the murky waters but there is cutting-edge scientific research of the highest quality to be done and on nice warm afternoons I shall arm myself with a cup of tea and go out there and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment