Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Stone me - they've done it

As regular [Do me a favour: Ed] readers will know, if they recall this post, I keep my eye on the fortunes of two football teams. In fact I only bother to go to watch one of them, and I can now reveal that they are Wealdstone, who play just down the road from me, and that last night they were confirmed as champions of the Ryman (a.k.a. Isthmian) League by winning at Margate.

I started watching them in the 1970s when they had their own ground in the heart of Harrow. Sadly, this has long gone to become a Tesco store and the club went through many hard times in the 1990s before finding its current home at the Vale ground conveniently close to Ruislip tube. Although they were founder members of the Conference, effectively the 5th division of the Football League, financial problems forced the club to play at a much lower level for a long time and only now have they clawed their way back. Next season they play in the Skrill (a.k.a.Conference) South.

All the club needs now is a very rich sponsor, a sensible offer to Tesco (whose financial results announced this morning showed a further decline in profits) and all those years could be rolled back...well, you've got to dream. haven't you? [Some of us have work to do: Ed]




No comments:

Post a Comment